Retirement may seem like a time for relaxation, but there are still important things to consider as you grow older. Some baby boomers, who grew up with the Beatles and flared jeans, may want to ease into full-time leisure without too much responsibility. However, before booking that island vacation, it’s important to know what to expect in your golden years.
While aging may bring some physical changes, such as wrinkles, many things you will encounter are intangible, such as your perspective on life and your reasons for volunteering.
Here are seven things to expect as you age:
- You’ll receive more invitations to join AARP, formerly known as the American Association of Retired Persons. Members can receive discounts on various products and services.
- You’ll need to complete paperwork to receive Social Security checks, but you can apply online, by phone, or in person.
- Annual wellness exams become necessary, but Medicare covers them.
- You can check off everything on your bucket list and start a new one, taking on adventures you’ve always wanted to try.
- You will make your last mortgage payment and can consider remodeling your home to age in place.
- Your adult children will move out and start their own lives, allowing you to build a man cave or hobby room.
- You won’t be asked to work overtime again, allowing you to enjoy well-deserved time off and dream of new bucket list experiences.
As you age, challenges and opportunities exist, but it’s up to you to embrace the positives and make the most of your golden years.